« History should be written by the winners | Main | Irish: more RESTful, less semantic? »

JXTA and Jini

I've been looking at these two technologies again recently. Maybe it's just me, but does anyone understand why we need both JXTA and Jini?

From the Jini faq:

Q. What other technologies compete with the Jini architecture?
A. There are none.

Are they sure about that? The JXTA FAQ has a number of entries asking how it compares to other technologies. But not Jini.

April 10, 2004 12:18 AM

Comments

Piotr Kaminski
(April 10, 2004 01:59 AM #)

I've looked at both a short while ago, and my understanding is that Jini is predicated on mobile code (i.e. tied to Java) while JXTA is a fancied-up XML message routing system. Based on this, they appear to be irreconcilable, but what do I know. I'd like a comparison between them, but preferably by a third party -- I'd find it hard to trust their own FAQs on this.

Carlos E. Perez
(April 10, 2004 03:13 AM #)

Let me take a stab at it.

JXTA provides a network overlay abstraction over an existing heteregenous network.JXTA communication through asychronous messaging, it supports messaging that hops through different protocols. So if you're building an application that lives in a hetereogeneous WAN then JXTA is the way to go.

JINI is more suited if you're building a robust distributed system based on homogenous networking and components (i.e. Java). RPC like services were the primary mechanism for communication, however recent practices have shown that JavaSpace communication (i.e. asynchronous and shared memory) as the preferred approach.

In short build your services and inhouse applications using JINI. However, for an internet wide application, use JXTA. My take, JXTA seems to take a more pragmatic approach and therefore may be better in general, that may also be the reason its being adopted for N1 rather than JINI.

Curt Cox
(April 10, 2004 03:34 AM #)

Sun is finally starting to realize that JINI and JXTA are both similar and complimentary. There is rumored to be an open-source project to bridge the two, but it doesn't look very open to me.
nwhere.jini.org/

Does anybody have more information about this project?

Patrick Logan
(April 12, 2004 10:33 PM #)

Bill,

JINI came first, but was Java specific, and other P2P-like systems that were language-independent were getting a good bit of attention while JINI relatively languished in disinterest. JXTA was conceived in part to address the desire for a protocol-level approach rather than a language-specific approach.

Also JINI was conceived or at least marketed to a significant extent as an embedded systems mechanism. JXTA was conceived as more of an Internet P2P mechanism. Of course these were not technical restrictions, but more part of their subtext.

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference JXTA and Jini:

» Jini and JXTA. Does it matter? from Radovan Janecek: Nothing Impersonal
Bill asks why we need both Jini and JXTA... Perhaps, I'm too high-level (and I don't exactly know who is 'we'), but I think we need neither. Well, JXTA is more Java-independent... Well, Jini has nice discovery protocol... and so what? Fortunatelly, JXT... [Read More]

Tracked on April 12, 2004 09:11 PM