« HTTPLR draft-01 published. Some background. Some futures. | Main | Hmm. Upgrades. »

Jabber needs to die so XMPP can live

I don't know, the proprietary IM folks must think it's 1994 :) Ted Leung is right, XMPP is the way to go. Anyway, I'm up to here with having 3 different IM handles when we all could just roll out Jabber XMPP and be done with it [1].

One problem with XMPP is the community can't seem to get out from under the Jabber legacy.

The way to deal with that is somewhat brutal - shut down jabber.org - forever. And then go on a branding spree - start by renaming the J SF the XSF. And start calling JEPs XEPs. Perform a ruthless, internet-wide search/replace operation until Jabber has faded from memory, gone the way of WAIS and Gopher.

Speaking of JEPs. if WS has a spec overload problem, then going by the current spec list arguably so does XMPP. People need to stop writing JEPs, for about 3 years, so we all can catch up and do the mundane stuff like harden servers, write conformance suites, discover the working subsets, hammer out interop, fix bugs, figure out which JEPs matter and so on.

So, here it is - no more JEPs after St Patrick's Day ;) Maintain the moritorium until 2008. Which by then will be called XEPs.

[1] For Java folks OpenIM works just fine and the Smack client libs are easy to use. Ejabberd however is arguably the most robust open source XMPP server out there. Don't let the Erlang codebase put you off, ejabberd's a piece of work, and highly active. It does however, need to be renamed :) Anyway, think of it - here's your chance to glimpse the future by hacking some Erlang.

March 14, 2005 03:03 PM

Comments

Patrick Lightbody
(March 14, 2005 04:58 PM #)

Bill,
Have you checked our Jive Messenger? Any thoughts?

Patrick

(March 14, 2005 05:28 PM #)

Patrick,

No! But I should - OpenIM isn't XMPP compliant. The last XMPP aware system I shipped was before Nov 04 so Jive Messenger wasn't available to us - we went with OpenIM over ejabberd at the time in case we needed to patch a server.

Julian
(March 14, 2005 08:13 PM #)

Unfortunately "XMPP" is a really crappy user-unfriendly name. It would certainly be nice if we could get away from the "Jabber" name—but I wouldn't want to replace it with "XMPP".

Bill Seitz
(March 14, 2005 11:01 PM #)

Am I missing an old Jabber joke or something?

(Other than the fact that nobody seems to use the dang thing.)

Sander
(March 14, 2005 11:32 PM #)

Bill de hra, can you contact me (I can't find any contact information on your site)? I want to use some of your quotes in this post and want to know if it is allowed and if it should be anonymous or not etc :-) You can get more information if you contact me ;-)

Sam
(March 15, 2005 12:34 PM #)

What name are you proposing to replace ejabberd? exmppd? Sounds ugly :)

(March 15, 2005 06:59 PM #)

"What name are you proposing to replace ejabberd?"

- XMPP+IM ('zim')
- eximd ('xmd')

I can't help it that Jabber is a nicer sounding suckier technology than XMPP, a suckier sounding nicer technology than Jabber.

Travis Shirk
(April 29, 2006 01:05 AM #)

Why the big hang up on the name Jabber. It is what started xmpp, which is NOT a user friendly name or even a name that might interest someone in converting. Do we call "Email" smtp? No. Is the "World Wide Web" called http? No. Get over it dude, and worry about something useful. I can only assume you have some political agenda.

(April 29, 2006 02:08 AM #)

"I can only assume you have some political agenda"

ROTFL. Really, that's a good one. But no, you assume wrong.

Calling XMPP Jabber is like calling HTTP Gopher.