« Expect better | Main | Yes mate »

An Irish host that does all this?

I currently host this weblog from a UKShells account. I'm more than happy with them, UKSolutions have their act together, the service is great. But, the exchange rate between Sterling and Euro bites. Here's what they give me for around 250 euros pa:

• SSH to bash shell
  • 250Mb filespace
  • 2 domains hosted currently
  • Multiple domains hosted from that shell account
  • 10GB data transfer per month
  • Apache .htaccess files for the websites
  • Access to raw log files
  • (S)FTP
  • Python, Perl, PHP, CGI
  • 2 x cronjob
  • Mysql account
  • Webmail
  • 10 x POP mail accounts, 1 mailing list, web managed
  • POP3/IMAP mail access, web managed
  • A/C/MX, DNS configuration, web managed
  • Sales team that understands DNS
  • Online trouble ticket
  • Competence

None of those are negotiable. Is there any Irish host that does all this for individuals? It occurs to me I ought to start looking at a US provider as well. What I pay now gives me 300 USD to play with. Dollar to Euro rocks.

Bonus points for Subversion hosting.

June 26, 2005 06:32 PM

Comments

Paul Goscicki
(June 26, 2005 07:35 PM #)

You should switch to Dreamhost this very moment. They give you at least 10 times better deal for that kind of money (with all of those features included). And now for the fun part - they have this special promotion at this moment, where you can have their basic hosting plan (which is still at lest 5 times better than yours) for as low as 9$ a year. How? Read here.

Michael Koziarski
(June 26, 2005 10:04 PM #)

Hey Bill,

Another option for you to consider is TextDrive, (http://www.textdrive.com). You'd get everything you currently get, for slightly cheaper and without the arbitrary limits on cronjobs, mailboxes etc.

As far as subversion hosting goes, they host quite a few high profile projects including ruby on rails, wordpress, the pragmatic programmers' etc.

Just be careful with the hugely cheap hosts, often they oversell their servers, don't do any backups etc.

Disclaimer: I liked the service so much, I let them hire me.

M. David Peterson
(June 27, 2005 06:19 AM #)

Hi Bill,

I have quite a bit of extra server space and bandwidth here in the states, most of which goes unused. I would be happy to set up virtual server instance on one of the boxes via XEN (1:1 processor ratio) if you feel this would be helpful (I need an excuse to play around with XEN anyways so this would be a good one. :) If nothing else it would give you a free place to host your Subversion repositories with root level (you would be the only one with access...) SSH control.

No big worries... if you find it helpful I would be happy to get it setup. You now have my contact info so I will leave it to you to take it from here :)

Cheers :)

<M:D/>

Danny
(June 27, 2005 10:07 AM #)

Trading off memory for capabilities virtual hosts do seem a pretty good option. I've using Bytemark.

MD's offer sounds good. Christopher Schmidt has a similar offer.

KD
(June 27, 2005 04:21 PM #)

http://www.blacknightsolutions.ie are nice people. Not affilated. I just use them myself.

Tom Raftery
(June 29, 2005 01:53 PM #)

Ditto the Blacknight Solutions suggestion - they are Irish, good value, flexible and give good support.

You'll find them at www.blacknight.ie

Simon Boyle
(July 5, 2005 12:03 AM #)

I'm pretty sure Hosting 365 handles most of that apart from the low level DNS, but I've never had call for it. adding new/subdomains & activating/deactivating mail/web per virtual host is painless.

All my interactions with their support has been handled promptly.