« RDF - schema versioning and data typing | Main | Feeds vs Attention, or Data vs Behaviour? »

Sigh

Bye bye, UDDI (spotted by Mark)

Elsewhere I see posts about stuff like using indigo for REST based apps. More and more grumbling about XSD. That sort of thing. What's irritating out all this recent insight around WS is that it's not like we didn't know WS wasn't going to meet the hype. It may turn out to be a surprise for the industry, but I think the people in the trenches saw it coming a long time ago.

December 15, 2005 11:15 PM

Comments

Ryan Tomayko
(December 20, 2005 06:17 AM #)
... but I think the people in the trenches saw it coming a long time ago.

And raised the issue loudly and repeatedly for years. It's a shame we couldn't turn opinion more quickly, IMO. It could have saved an insane amount of time, money, and prevented many a programmer from burning out on really bad technology. In a way its all very depressing to me because I think the whole kafuffle shows just how little influence real technical experts (as in those who have gained knowledge in a manner that is somewhat scientific / based in reality as opposed to speculation) have over direction. We're in the backseat along for the ride with little ability to cause change with the exception of being able to accelerate the rate that failure is reached so we can say, "See! I told you!".

Jadedly yours, -- Ryan

(December 20, 2005 01:15 PM #)

Ryan! You're alive!

"Really smart people are working on this"- that's the one that gets me down.

Ryan Tomayko
(December 22, 2005 05:01 AM #)

"Ryan! You're alive!"

Shhhh! :)

Patrick Logan
(December 23, 2005 11:17 PM #)

I've never liked XSD and am in a place where I need to support my own arguments. How do you search for grumbling about XSD. This appears to be difficult using google.

I mean, I'll accept references, but I just found it difficult to have google find grumbles and put them on the first or second page of my results.

Patrick Logan
(December 24, 2005 12:15 AM #)

OK -- I found a search for "xml pox" turns up criticisms of XSD.