Ten books for the working programmer
March 14, 2007 | co.mments
- Agile Software Development
- Working Effectively With Legacy Code
- The Pragmatic Programmer
- Code Complete, 2nd ed
- Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
- Mastering Regular Expressions
- Pragmatic Project Automation
- The Algorithm Design Manual
- The Art of Project Management
Colophon: I first wrote this list out for myself in 2004. Since then I added McConnell at 5, and Berkun at 10, removing Getting Things Done and UML Distilled. The intent of the list is to be language and platform neutral; these books should stay with you across projects and jobs. This isn't a "thou shalt" - I'm just saying I've found these books very, very useful. I suspect the first 5 have been indispensable to me since I joined the industry .
ps: Gunnar makes an important point - nothing on security.
March 14, 2007 06:44 PM
Post a comment
TrackBack URL for this entry: